The Museum of Food and Drink (MOFAD) is New York City’s first museum with exhibits you can eat. As an educational nonprofit, its mission is to advance public understanding of food’s central importance in culture.
MOFAD made its explosive debut in 2013 with the mobile exhibit BOOM! The Puffing Gun and the Rise of Cereal, which featured live demonstrations of a giant 1930s-era cereal puffing gun. Its innovative approach, blending multisensory experience with interdisciplinary education, has been hailed by major national media including ABC, CBS, NBC, and The New York Times. The museum has garnered the support of distinguished leaders in business, entertainment, and hospitality, including Alex Guarnaschelli, Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson, and Marcus Samuelsson.
MOFAD Lab is the museum's inaugural gallery space located in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, where Chow: Making the Chinese American Restaurant is currently on view. In this space, MOFAD creates exhibits and hosts an array of public programs, including cooking classes, guided tastings, hands-on workshops, science demonstrations, discussions, and seminars. The museum also has launched MOFAD City, a digital platform that turns neighborhoods into immersive, interactive exhibitions.
MOFAD’s goal is to open the world's first large-scale, independent food museum. This global center for learning will feature multiple exhibition galleries, program and workshop space, a garden, café, and more.
MOFAD is seeking a Managing Director to help grow the organization into the world's first large-scale, independent food museum. As an executive leader in a start-up environment, the Managing Director will be charged with growing and diversifying revenue streams, crafting business planning strategy and financial analyses, and paving the road to launch a capital campaign.
A strong candidate has expertise in fundraising strategy and financial management, analysis, budget planning, and oversight at the executive level. Additionally, he or she must have an excellent track record as a relationship builder in a start-up environment, able to both lead and execute plans as needed.
All applicants must possess a strong passion for MOFAD’s educational mission of food as culture and be willing to make a two-year commitment.
- Passion for MOFAD’s educational mission and the concept of food as culture
- Senior fundraiser who is excited about closing major gifts in a start-up environment
- Business acumen and a love for numbers and budgets
- Impact and results driven with a strong sense of return on invested time and resources
- Thirst to take on a large-scale capital campaign
- Entrepreneurial and innovative approach, able to leap over hurdles
- Ability to see the big picture and simultaneously manage day-to-day details
The Managing Director will have a dual report to the Executive Director and Board Chair.
- Partner with MOFAD’s Executive Director on organizational goals and strategy
- Partner with MOFAD’s Board Chair on board development and capacity
- Foster a collaborative and rigorous working environment focused on fundraising and capacity building with a small, but creative team
Fundraising and Development
- Develop fundraising strategy and work plans to significantly grow and sustain MOFAD’s individual, institutional, and corporate funding streams
- Lead preparations for and oversee MOFAD’s capital campaign
- Mentor development staff, interns, and volunteers
- Liaise with and support the Board Fundraising Committee
Financial Planning and Oversight
- Build and implement multi-year business plan and associated financial models
- Build and oversee MOFAD’s annual operating budget and variance reports
- Liaise with the Board Treasurer and provide the Board with quarterly financial reports
- Oversee contracts for bookkeeping and annual audits
Experience and Skills
- 7+ years experience in business development and fundraising strategy
- Experience in financial management, analysis, planning, and oversight ($1M+)
- Deep experience managing major donor pipelines and proven track record in closing significant individual and institutional gifts ($100K+)
- Experience in corporate fundraising; securing partnerships and sponsorships
- Experience in endowment gifts and/or planned giving
- Capital campaign experience strongly preferred
- Charismatic communicator and relationship builder
- Thoughtful and motivational leader and mentor
The initial Managing Director salary will be modest based on MOFAD's start-up status. The position has the potential for aggressive increases and bonuses, based on performance. This is an excellent opportunity to grow with the organization over time.
For more information about MOFAD, please visit: http://www.mofad.org/about-mofad/.
Highly motivated candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.