On Show through March 2019
Chinese Americans were once told they did not belong in the United States. They went on to create one of the country's most beloved cuisines.
Chow: Making the Chinese American Restaurant celebrates the birth and evolution of Chinese American restaurants, tracing their nearly 170-year history and sparking conversation about food culture, immigration, and what it means to be American.
Immerse yourself in a stunning timeline of Chinese American restaurant menus dating back to 1910. Beautifully designed and lovingly curated by MOFAD, these artifacts show the evolution of the cuisine, decade by decade.
Chow Culinary Studio
Enjoy tastings created by the country's most talented chefs who specialize in Chinese American cuisine. Each month, MOFAD will feature a different tasting:
- September: Xiang Xi Fried Rice, Chef Zilong Zhao(MáLà Project)
- Homestyle Mushrooms with Country Ham, Chef Doron Wong (Northern Tiger)
- Honey Walnut Shrimp, Chef Jonathan Wu (Fung Tu)
- Five Pepper Kung Pao Chicken, Chef Irene Li (Mei Mei Restaurant / Mei Mei Street Kitchen)
- Tofu with Crab Sauce, Chef Jeremiah Stone (Contra / Wildair)
- Peking Pork with Sweet and Sour Glaze, Chef Chris Cheung (East Wind Snack Shop)
- Beef and Black Pepper Dumplings, Chef Lee Anne Wong (Koko Head Cafe)
- Beef with Shiitake, Tomato, and Basil, Chef Thomas Chen (Tuome)
- Mama Said: Always Finish Your Rice (Jasmine Rice Pudding with Tropical Fruits and Pumpkin Seed Candy), Chef Shirley Chung (Steamers Co.)
- Chinese-Burmese Chili Chicken, Grace Young (award-winning author of Stir Frying to the Sky's Edge (2011) and The Breath of a Wok (2004)
- Wok-Charred Udon Noodles with with Chicken and Bok Choy, Chef Joanne Chang (Flour Bakery, Myers + Chang)
- Seared Beef with Oyster Sauce, Chef Paul Donnelly (Chinese Tuxedo)
- Cumin Encrusted Pork Loin, Chef Calvin Eng (Nom Wah Tea Parlor)
- Eggplant Ma Po Doufu Style, Chef Anita Lo
- BBQ Pork with Bean Sprouts Chow Mein, Chef Daniel Ho (Sam Wo)
- Beef Chow Fun, Chef Chris Cheung (Tansuo)
- Snow Pea Leaves with Shrimp, Chef Thomas Chen (Tuome)
- Soft Shell Chili Crab, Chef Erick Sison (Tonga Room)
- Stirfried Oysters in Black Bean Sauce, Chef Edward Huang (Zai Lai)
- Egg Foo Young, Chef Lee (Wo Hop)
MOFAD is collecting messages of goodwill from people around the world, and putting them into our 1,500-pound fortune cookie machine. At Chow, crack open a cookie to reveal a fortune written by a stranger. Think: message in a bottle, with a cookie as the medium. Visit projectfortune.mofad.org or tweet @mofad with #projectfortune to submit your own message to Project Fortune.